Sunday

Invoking Goddess Caffeina : Tiramisu

Finally, I start my blog..something which I've been meaning to do for quite some time now, and has taken the warmth of some gorgeous mulled wine and generally the spirits of the holiday season to get me started.

And what better an ode to all fellow coffee fanatics than a way to drink your french press brew and eat it too ! I was looking for something I could make and stash away in the fridge, ready with magic dust(read: cocoa), to just get out at midnight for my partner's birthday. And this Quick Tiramisu recipe from BBC food seemed just the thing! Though traditional Tiramisu uses raw eggs(so does the below version), BakingandBooks gives a detailed version where the use of raw eggs is omitted.

I used coffee from my Bodum, instead of the recommended espresso crema, hence had to be very careful with the dipping of the Savoiardi biscuits (yes, no more than 2 secs!) so that the fingers didn't soak up excess water.
I also made my coffee more concentrated than the usual to get a fuller coffee flavour. I didn't have dessert glasses ready to go, so couldn't do a knockout presentation with edge-to-edge chocolate shavings or cocoa (due to glasses not being wide rimmed), but some impromptu sugar work and cherry towers did the trick! I found they weren't chilled and firm enough at the end of 2 hours, so I'd suggest keeping atleast 4-5 hours in hand for chilling. Happy eating :)!!


Quick Tiramisu (from BBC Food)

Ingredients

3 cups of strong black coffee, preferably espresso, cooled
3 tbsp caster sugar
6 tbsp Amaretto liqueur
2 eggs, separated
250g/8¾oz mascarpone cheese
250ml/8¾ fl oz whipped cream
cocoa powder, to dust
1 packet of Savoiardi (sponge lady finger biscuits)

Method

1. Place the cold coffee in a bowl, add three tablespoons of the Amaretto and put to one side.
2. In a separate bowl beat together the egg yolks and sugar for about three minutes until thick and pale.
3. Add the mascarpone and beat until well mixed. Fold in the whipped cream gently with a metal spoon.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold the egg whites quickly but gently into the cream mixture. Add the remaining liqueur, taking care not to loose the volume.
5. Dip each biscuit into the coffee liqueur mixture for about two seconds on each side and shake of the excess.
6. Cover the bottom of an eight individual 8cm/3in dessert glasses. Spread some of the cream mixture over the biscuits and then repeat the process again, using up the biscuits and finishing with a cream layer.
7. Smooth the surface and dust the top with the cocoa powder.
8. Refrigerate for about two hours or until firm. The longer it is left, the more the flavours will develop.



Try It

Share


2 comments:

  1. oooh I have a bottle and a half of Amaretto in the cupboard sounds lush.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And incredibly easy as well - do let me know if you try it out :)

    ReplyDelete